The historic homes on the Water Street Historic Block are operated through a cooperative effort between the Chippewa County Historical Society, the Sault Historic Sites, and the City of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
Artifacts in the homes are from the collections of the Chippewa County Historical Society. Many items on display were originally owned by the Johnston family.
The Johnston House and the Henry Rowe Schoolcraft office located on the Water Street Historic Block in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan give visitors a first hand look into the lives of the early fur traders and settlers by providing a historically accurate portrayal of their homes and lives.
Visitors to the Water Street Historic Block can tour the home of John Johnston, one of the first European settlers to the area. The office of Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, the first Indian Agent to the area is also on display. Bishop Frederic Baraga’s house in presently under restoration
The Kemp Coal Dock Office is a museum devoted to the industrial history of Sault Ste. Marie. It is located adjacent to the downtown marina.
John Johnston, a native of Ireland, emigrated to Canada in 1785 and made a very successful living in the fur trade. He was married in 1793 to Ozhahguscodaywayquay, daughter of Waubojeeg, the leader of the Chippewa. The couple moved to Sault Ste. Marie in 1793 where they constructed a home, part of which is currently on display.
In addition to historic displays, the Water Street Historic Block provides programming by performers and artisans.
Homes are open for tours May through October.